16 January 2007

Waggles

It's a little late, but I'd like to introduce Waggles.


Waggles was Ellicia's stuffed dog. She had Waggles ever since she was about four. Waggles went with her everywhere. It went with her in the car... when she went to college, Waggles went, too. When I met her, Waggles was there, though admittedly, up high away from the reach of Kira. And, at the hospital, Waggles would keep her company.


Waggles sat with her as she passed.


And, Waggles will keep her company forever.


It was hard to put Waggles into the casket, though. I had a whole week to spend with Waggles, and truthfully, Waggles was never far from me. Came with ME wherever I went. Was a tangible hold onto something that was undeniably Ellicia.


But, she had specifically asked. I remember, we'd talked before, and she'd always said, "No, Waggles should be kept somewhere safe." But, about a week before she died, I asked again what she wanted me to do with Waggles. She said she wanted Waggles with her. At which, Waggles then said, "Nooooooo, please don't make me go into the box! Please, please... I don't wanna go... It'll be daaaaarrrrrrrkkkkk." :)


Poor Waggles. Never was wild about the idea, but he went bravely into the box.


Miss Waggles.


In the pictures, you may even note the permanent crook in Waggles where she'd snuggled up with him for decades...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like everyone has a Waggles once in life so your post really grabbed my heart today (not that the others haven't). I imagine it was very tempting to keep Waggles, but like all good friends, he had a job to do & it made me cry to think of him doing just that.

We are still thinking of all of you daily.

{{{Hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

I know that had to be hard to let go.