17 January 2007

Memorial to SGT Ross

When I was in Afghanistan, we lost a chopper and we lost someone from our unit. In the post I wrote at the time, I referred to Fred. Well, "Fred" was SGT Ken Ross I called him "Fred" due to OpSec, but he was a friend..

SGT Ross had been attached into our unit from a sister unit. When he died, his original unit didn't do anything for them (perhaps because their base was closing, but still...).

Some very fine folks in my unit at Illesheim did a wonderful thing. They ensured that a memorial was done for SGT Ross. It is the nicest memorial on the base, nestled with many others in the base's memorial park.

The day before we flew, I took some time to stop by the memorial, and give SGT Ross one last salute. I also took some pictures of the memorial.
(By the way... if you look super closely at the first picture, you can see Ellicia sitting in the car waiting for me. That was our BMW that we had in Germany.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband was serving on rear D for SGT Ross' unit at the time Mustang 22 went down.
The reason why there was no memorial done for him (or for a Big Windy Bird that went down before Mustang 22) was the fact that the post was closing soon. There was a very moving service for him, money for the memorial in Illesheim was donated and his fiance received generous donations.
To the best of my knowledge a memorial was build by his comrades in Afghanistan as well.
K.

SCEagle said...

Thank you, K.R., for that extra info.

Reasa said...

Thanks for sharing this. Hubby was glad to see something done for SGT Ross.

jan said...

thanks for good info.
wish you and your family all the best

http://hazaranation.blogspot.com