16 January 2007

The Asterisk

The Asterisk
There was one particular flower arrangement at the funeral which was distinctive, and unusual. Had a few comments.
It was from me.
I had it specially done for Ellicia. And, at the end, when they placed the casket in the grave, I instructed that it be placed on top of the casket before the dirt was filled in. All other flowers were placed on the ground after the grave was redressed.
So, what was this arrangement?
Well, when ellicia and I first started what would become our relationship, it was through internet chat.
Some of you may know that, before Yahoo added all of the smileys and such, you could often show a kiss by:
*
Later on, when we were together, perhaps in public, or stressed, or just having a moment, we would trace the asterisk on the hand of the other. I can recall quite a few times when I might be stressed, and I'd feel her finger gently tracing the asterisk. When she was in the hospital, I'd trace it to her.
And, as she was dying and at her death, I traced it.
During the visitation, and when it was time to close the casket, I caught myself standing there, talking to others, holding her hand, tracing the asterisk.
The last time I touched the casket, I poured some dirt on the casket, and traced the asterisk in it.
It's even drawn on her head in magic marker (I'll explain in another post).
So, it was something special.
And the flowers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That so beautiful! I have no other words!

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

It is those little treasures of love that never fade or go away. Still on our hearts Reid.

-Andrea