28 January 2007

A Star in the Heavens

An Angel sent me the most remarkable surprise. Seems she registered a Star in Ellicia's name. A package came from International Star Registry. Yes, I know, it's not "real". Hundreds of years from now, astronauts won't be navigating to the "Ellicia" Star system. But, it's very real, to me.

The constellation Orion was a special set of stars to us. Whenever we were separated, we'd always look out for Orion and feel connected to each other again. We always knew we'd be looking at the same set of stars.

Orion was also the first time I felt Ellicia. I had been so frustrated. It'd been either cloudy or a full moon the nights since she'd died. Felt truly lost not being able to see Orion. Disconnected.

And then, driving solo back to South Carolina to bury her... and it was still cloudy. Even rain. I talked to her the whole way down, and halfway through North Carolina, I was crying and screaming in frustration...

... and the clouds parted. I looked to my left, and immediately, the first stars I saw (and amazingly, the only stars) were Orion. I looked to my right, and felt a calm, and could almost see, and more or less sense, her sitting there, grinning back to me as she often would when we were on our frequent long drives (be it to travel or to go to a doctor). All felt right again.

And five minutes later, it was cloudy. And rainy. And I felt ok.

We'll always have Orion... and I can always look to the stars (especially the one named Ellicia) to guide me.

I miss you, Ellica. *

(And cloudy nights suck.)

3 comments:

Barb said...

What a wonderful gift and how fitting. I also key off of Orion whenever I can, because my sign in Taurus - and I can find it by following the stars in Orion's belt. I'm so glad that you have another special reason to look up to Orion.

Yekwana Man said...

I always loved Orion as it was one of the easiest to find above our jungle home. My wife and I found your blog together and we mourn with you together. Our prayers are with you and your three children.

Kat said...

That is SO sweet.....