02 January 2007

Initial Funeral Info

Many of you are interested in the funeral info... it's too early for many of the details, as I don't meet with the funeral home until Thursday.

Here's what I do know:


  • She's flying from Norfolk to Charleston on Wednesday. I'm going to the airport with her to see her off.
  • The funeral is being handled by J. Henry Stuhr Funeral Homes, 3360 Glenn McConnell Parkway, Charleston, SC
  • In lieu of flowers, I'm asking that donations be made to a good and reputable breast cancer foundation. While Ellicia loves flowers, and would certainly appreciate them, I think we can best be served by trying to defeat this cursed disease before it kills too many more wonderful people.
  • The service will be at Old St. Andrew's Church in Charleston, SC. It's not our home church, as we're really without one, but it's beautiful, and Ellicia would like it.
  • Ellicia wishes to be buried next to me. As I have no home cemetary or family plot, I've decided to be buried in a National Cemetary. Beaufort, SC is the closest National Cemetary to our families and homes in South Carolina, so that is where she'll rest until I finally join her. I like to think that until then, all of my "buddies" will keep watch over her.
  • We will do the services on Monday. I do not have times yet.

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful comments. I cannot respond to each of you, but I wish I could. As this site, particularly her post has turned into a virtual funeral register, I intend to print all of your thoughts and comments and tuck them into her casket to be with her. The support for her (and us) from literally around the world has been astounding and she was always amazed and comforted by it... and I want it to stay with her.

Thank you, all.

4 comments:

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Count on us to contribute in dedication to Ellicia. Could you (or someone else) suggest a foundation? Also, let me encourage you in how you're still taking care of her and her wishes. You are showing a tenderness that reveals your deep love.

Anonymous said...

Like hub, I wondered if you had a specific place you'd like us to donate. Is the ACS (Amer. Cancer Society) as good a place as any - does anyone know?

The church is beautiful, and I'm sure she'll be well looked after in that cemetery.

JMac said...

Leesha,

You were my friend when I thought I had none. We laughed and joked. You even threated my to be husband with physical harm if so much as my hair was out of place. We tooled around in Pepto and both rejoyced when Kyra, then Rissa, and soon after Thomas came into the world. Your greatest desire was to have someone snuggle you, love you, and then hold you tight at night. The two greatest things you wished happened...kids and a true lover. I'm glad you had that. I love you and I'll miss you.

Kat said...

We love y'all... ***hugs***