06 January 2007

Saw Ellicia

I saw Ellicia for the first time today. First time since she'd died and they'd wheeled her away.

Was nervous. But, went right up to her...

She was covered in a sheet (up to her neck) because they didn't have clothes yet. The clothes I'd brought, even though she'd recently worn them, didn't fit anymore. I'd gone shopping for her, and selected a few outfits. (As an aside, Ellicia and I enjoyed doing clothes shopping, but men, I have to tell you... if you think clothes shopping is difficult, it's really hard when she can't try them on. Takes a lot of imagination.)

I think it's a beautiful outfit, and she'll look lovely in it.

Anyway, I was there today to let her father come to visit. Ellicia and her father had been estranged for the better part of 34 years. The reasons why are long gone and best forgotten. He'd sent an e-mail a few weeks ago reaching out to her. He'd learned of her troubles. She had a chance to read the e-mail, but... we never got to respond to it. But, I knew she wanted to.

So, he discovered the blog (handy thing, this is, no?). And when I posted that she'd died... well, he contacted the funeral home about being able to see her without causing a disruption. Classy, I think.

So, we arranged a time when he could come. The past is past, and I think a father should be able to say goodbye to his daughter.

It was very touching. I was worried because the last he'd seen her was when she was 5 and now... after the cancer... the look could be shocking. But, a father's love is undying, and he came to say goodbye. Gave her a kiss. And I felt bad for his loss. He'd lost his daughter... twice.



I'm really impressed with the amazing work of the funeral home. The funeral director had intimated to me that he and the staff had been truly shocked when they'd received her body. He said they thought that there'd been a horrible mistake, that the wrong body had been sent. He'd been worried that they wouldn't be able to do much as the cancer had ravaged her body so horribly.

I reassured him in this way. A week before she'd passed, Ellicia had said that she was looking forward to leaving the house and getting a chance to look pretty again. She hated how the mirror image looked. I told him, "She looks pretty again."

And she does.

Does she look the same as in some of the pictures in earlier posts? No. But, her beauty has always come from deeper than her skin. Her twinkling eyes, beaming smile, and the energy oozing from her... all made her very beautiful. And when I saw her lying there... her eyes may have been closed, and her mouth frozen, and the energy has left her body - but the beauty was still there. The peace with which she'd died... She's pretty again.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reid, you are truly an incredible man, husband and father - the best.
God Bless
Les & Colleen

Anonymous said...

I must write this. I have felt like a peeking tom reading your blog. Almost invading your privacy. But I kept being drawn back for some reason. After just reading your last post I understand why. There has been someone I have been very angry with and have shut out of my life. Honestly, I don't even remember the how it all came about. Your additude has made me feel very ashamed. Life is really too short. In honor of your beautiful wife, and your example to someone much older than you I am going to make a phone call today.

Anonymous said...

You are a truely remarkable individual.

Anonymous said...

How lucky she was to be loved by someone like you! God's peace be with you all.

Rachelle Jones said...

Reid,

I am reading this, and I am so proud and amazed at your grace. It will be a good thing for your children to witness.


You also put something in words in which I had not been able.

My Mother too looked beautiful when she finally was able to rest.

And when my Mother died, even all of the swelling from the brain tumor, and the swelling for the decadron, and other steroids...after she passed that afternoon at 3:00pm. I too thought she looked beautiful as always.

Please know we continue to think of you and pray for you!

Anonymous said...

Reid, what a beautiful tribute. You are so amazing and caring. You have beautifully said what is in your heart and I feel as though I have received a glimpse of the paradise that you and Ellicia shared.

God Bless you and the little ones.

Anonymous said...

Reid - this was beautiful. I know Ellicia is looking down on you and beaming with pride that she was able to spend so much time on this earth with a man like you.

Anonymous said...

Reid, you are an amazing man!
Your parents must be very proud. In your short years on this earth you have learned the most important thing in life to learn; how to give your love and and have it returned.
The love that you and Ellicia share is very special. Notice I say "share and not shared", that's because a love like you and Ellicia share will live on forever in your heart, your memories and your soul.
Cherish this for all of your days. It s something very few of us get the chance to experience.

Cindy C.

Anonymous said...

Reid, What a beautiful love story, sadly there are people who've never experienced what you, your beautiful wife, and family shared. I commend you for setting an outstanding example, I also admire your generous, forgiving heart. A lesson for all to learn, I'm going to make a long overdue phone call this evening Thanks for sharing with us via the blog , your grace, love, and class come shining through. May your family find comfort in those surrounding them and from the memories of much happier times spent together. My condolences and God bless your family, Cathy, Vermont

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post.

I wish all it took was an 'easy' button to take the hurt away. I understand it from your children's perspective. It will be an unfolding, evolving road. I was five and my mother thirty-nine, when she passed away from breast cancer. You will find yourself being both mother and father to your children, and no doubt wonderful at it. Journal your funny times with Ellicia, your gentle times, her opinions on a number of issues, her quirks, her likes and loves...all these memories will be a cherished treasure by your children when they are older.

Anonymous said...

You are such a kind poetic man. I can't tell you how many times I have left yer site with tears. And me, the hospice nurse who does this for a living.

My wish would be that everyone had a taste of the great love you shared (and will all ways have) with yer wife. You have truly found yer treasure. And, life will always be MORE because of it.

She lives through yer memories. You have a capacity to see through to the soul....you KNOW the secret of life (your children, your imagination) and now you KNOW the secret of death, while final and harsh to those of us left, frees the Spirit to greater love and reunion.

I am so humbled by yer strength and capacity to love. May you live forever under the umbrella of yer wife's great love....shining down from Heaven.

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of that great love.

Fermina Daza said...

As I sit here in awe at your words and your grace, the biggest thing that I am struck by is how incredibly blessed your children are - not only to have had such a wonderful mother even if only for a short while - but also for having such an incredible father. Your children are going to be blessed to grow up KNOWING that both of their parents love them and each other unconditionally.

How incredible that truly is. I'm still praying for you all. Ellica's dad included.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

How blessed Ellicia was and still is to be loved by you. How your vows are ringing true.
We will continue to uphold you in our prayers.

-Andrea

Unknown said...

SC -- We've come to know Ellicia through your tender posts about her. And to know the man you are as a result. We are the better for it.

Thank you for that.

God bless you and the children. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Andrea & Mark
The Radio Patriots