10 January 2007

Digital Comfort, Digital Memories

I introduced my mother-in-law to the blog today. She's known of it for some time, but she lacks her own computer (which had been frustrating when we lived so far away - Yahoo! Messenger is so nice long distance).

I brought her to the local public library. We sat down, and I told her... I would like to show you what the World thinks of your daughter.

Nice words and condolences are often easily expected from family and close friends, but... it's becoming clearer to me (as certain ones of you beat it into me) that Ellicia's story, courage, strength, and perseverance reached and touched one or two of you out there.

She saw the sixty-six page print-out of comments from the Pain, No More post. It was rolled up, tied with a bow, and placed in the casket with Ellicia.

But, she'd not read them. I had told her a synopsis of the wave of support, but still... she had not seen it.

As I write this, she is beside me... reading, remembering, and drawing comfort and strength.

Digital comfort, Digital memories, no less real.

Thank you, all of you...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We continue to think of you & the kids as well as the rest of your family.

I'm so glad that you were able to share your very special spot on the Web with your mother-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Glad Ellicia's Mom could see how her daughter touched so many people.

Anonymous said...

So pleased to meet you Ellicia's Mom... so sorry it is under these circumstances.

Your daughter and son-in-law are golden people to me. Reid is a man of tremendous character who chose well his life-mate to share his life-purpose and create even more life, who will, with God's blessing, be of their calibre. And so I tilt my gaze toward you to answer the question: just how did Ellicia get to be the person she was? This might suggest a moment of discomfort in you, to insist that she was her own special person entirely of her own doing, or of her father's. You might resist taking any credit.

I KNOW I speak for hundreds, thousands, of people who come here to check in on our Dear Soldier and his beloved family, when I say he is a cherished member of our own families, as if we've been giving him Indian burns since we were six. And while it is not usual or customary for those of us born in the US, we tending to be stoic stock, to receive such expressions without at least a firm handshake, well, perhaps, well, odd.
It's ok Dear Ellicia's Mom, if you might imagine us being right next to you, gently querying what you'd like for dinner tonight and the word would go out. For though we all can't personally deliver, say, dinner, we can send you our prayers and deep affection. And it is the trusting that you will accept our outstretched hand to receive our caring for you and your lovely family that we invite you to by way of this electronic medium.
It was your son-in-law who most generously shared his beloved with us, and for that I am grateful and consider myself to be the more blessed for it.

Dear Reid and children, and Ellicia's Mom, gentle hugs to each of you and restful sleep (with Kitty curled up nearby).

alexa kim

Anonymous said...

We cannot thank you enough, Reid for sharing Ellicia with us. As Alexa Kim said, we are the better for knowing both of you, if only virtually.

Kat said...

(((hugs))) we love y'all and pray for y'all daily....