12 January 2007

Grave Marker Inscription

Today was my deadline for customizing Ellicia's grave marker.

The VA provides a free marker. Being a government issued marker, it's very simple and plain. It will have her name, date of birth, "the Dash", and date of death. And her relationship to me.

I have a choice of religious symbol (easy choice) and an inscription.

The inscription can be fifteen characters. That includes spaces, symbols, whatever. Imagine your standard government form with the fifteen boxes.

I've said it to others, I truly never want to hear anyone complain about writing a speech or a term paper... Until you've tried to sum up someone's life in fifteen characters... it's amazingly difficult.

They give you some examples:
"Beloved Wife"
"Beloved Mother"
"Loved By All"
"I Did It My Way" (for Sinatra fans)
"Unforgettable" (Nat King Cole is represented as well)
"Gone Fishing" (don't ask)
"Gone Home"
you get the idea


Ellicia was a beloved wife, mother, and daughter. Hmmm, can't fit all that in 15 spaces. Was truly stumped. Because, as much as we often say, "... well, it's not set in stone...", THIS would be.

And yesterday, it hit me. Hard. And I chewed it around some, and decided it'd work.

TREASURED LOVE


It works. On many levels.

Ellicia treasured love.
Ellicia WAS a treasured love.
Ellicia's love WAS treasured.
And so on.

Perfect.

A lifetime in fifteen characters.

14 comments:

Household6 said...

I had thought you might go with just "Beloved" but I like that Reid, it fits well and says much.

Anonymous said...

It's perfect. Hope you're managing. I think of y'all a lot, with love.

jolene5499 said...

Hi Reid- I am so sorry for your loss. I used to work with you and Ellicia at National. I have been silently reading the diary for weeks, but could not bring myself to say anything. Ellicia was an amazing person. You and she were both so lucky to have found each other. I hope i find that kind of love someday. God Bless you and your children.
Jolene Scott (Bolmer)

Reasa said...

It says it all.

Louie said...

I don't remember how I found your blog but have been here off and on the last couple of weeks.

I tried to leave you a comment on the passing of your dear wife but for some reason the computer wasn't running smoothly.

You paint a beautiful picture of her, of your life together and I cried when I read some of these things.

I think what you have come up with for the Grave Marker is absolutely perfect. It's two very special words to sum up all that you have portrayed in your writings. You were both very blessed to have eachother.

God Bless you and all the family.

debey said...

exellent choice of words! you did good......

Anonymous said...

I like it.

Anonymous said...

Sheer inspiration.
alexa kim

JMac said...

There are poets and writers that should be humbled by what you said in your alloted characters. I can't say that I've ever seen a more perfect inscription. To you it will mean more and to those who walk by and see it will know that she was loved, is loved, and forever remembered.

Unknown said...

Treasured love.

That says it all. That says everything.


Andrea
Radio Patriot

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful... perfect.

Kat said...

Wow -- that is absolutely PERFECT.

blank said...

Perfect!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!