21 January 2007

Soldiers' Angels


Soldiers' Angels. This is a widespread, loosely-organized group of individuals representing a cross-strata of America (and beyond).

What do they do? They support the Soldiers. They do so with more than words or a yellow magnet (though those are appreciated). They don't do it for their own ego. In fact, SAngels will send care package after care package, without ever receiving, nor expecting, a response.

What perhaps makes SA so incredible, though is their persistence, adaptability, and seemingly unending desire and capablility to give.

I doubt you'll find many units that have deployed and not enjoyed the presence of a Soldiers' Angel watching over them.

As for me, my own experience with SA continues to boggle my comprehension and appreciation. SA came into my world when I was in Afghanistan. I'd heard of Soldiers' receiving care packages, and was pleasantly pleased when I began to reap the bennies as well. It was great!

But then, the most amazing thing began to occur... Soldiers' Angels began spread their wings over our family. One of the Angels heard how Ellicia was home with three children in Germany. And to our astonishment, Ellicia began to receive care packages. And the children, too!

(As they say on TV) But wait, there's more.

As readers of the blog know, I was brought home due to Ellicia's cancer. I was no longer in Afghanistan, and quite honestly, I no longer expected to hear from the SA. After all, there were troops STILL there and I wasn't.

Wrong.

Soldiers' Angels wrapped their wings around us ever closer.

Over the next year, the phenomenon continued. And expanded. In ways that astound me, SA would ensure that the children's birthdays were ok, down to party materials (being that Illesheim is not known for its vast shopping resources). Christmas, and all the days in between... SA never let up.

And now, in Virginia, after Ellicia's passing, surely now SA would find another Soldier?

No. I cannot begin to express my thanks to Soldiers' Angels. In these first few weeks, SA has sent flowers. SA has offered help, and then, more importantly backed away for a few weeks to give me time to sort things out. SA patiently waited. One of the Angels, who's been with me since Afghanistan, FLEW here for the weekend. The trip had originally been planned to visit both Ellicia and I, but it became something else.

And the Angels in Virginia even came around some more. One of the local Angels, whom I never met before, but suspet I'm going to get to know very well, offered her entire weekend to babysit the children so this Angel and I could visit together. Very kind.

And other Angels are waiting in the wings. Some just to talk, some to help unpack, some to teach me cook, and others in ways not yet discovered.

I suspect Soldiers' Angels will always be part of our life, and I can't think of anything better than to have Angels in one's life.



Soldiers' Angels... they don't receive enough thanks, attention, and kudos. And they don't seek it, which makes them even more remarkable.

I look forward to one day being in a position to pay this forward. Until then, please, support the Soldiers' Angels. They are remarkable and deserving, and you'll never hear them brag about it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I speak for all SA's when I say it is *our* honor to do whatever we can for those of you who stand for us.

auntybrat said...

Ditto exactly what Mary*Ann said....I am honoured and humbled to be part of what I call the "home team"....Thank YOU ^j^

Kat said...

((hugs)) ditto that - it is our honor to support you.... we love you & your sweet family and are proud of you, and will always be here for you no matter what.

Laurie said...

We need to change the last line of our motto, I think.
May no soldier go unloved.
May no soldier walk alone.
May no soldier be forgotten,
Until the all come home.

To: Even after they all come home.

Lindsey said...

You just made everything we do so worthwhile. YOU are the reason we do this. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Mary Ann already said it best. All I can say is 'Thank you' for taking the time to thank others, in the midst of this difficult time for you.
And we continue to hold you and the children in our prayers.

Kat said...

Laurie said: "We need to change the last line of our motto, I think.
May no soldier go unloved.
May no soldier walk alone.
May no soldier be forgotten,
Until the all come home.

To: Even after they all come home."

Ditto that! :) Usually, when I include that poem in my letters, I write: "...Until they all come home - AND THEN SOME!" :)

Reid - we are here for you. Just say the word, and you'll have a whole flock of angels coming to your aid. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Because of this post I went to the SA website and I joined!!!! I got my two soldiers, and now I'm an angel too. Thank you for writing this post, it has touch me in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Angel Sister, welcome.