01 January 2007

Post From My Dad

I'd meant to post this before... but, there had been little time for blogging. My Dad wrote this to share some of what had been missing since I'd not updated the blog.

I'm including it as written. My Dad has never been one for correct spellings, or such. Writing for him has always been a chore. So, when he sent this, I was moved just that he wrote it. Here it is:


Well The Stanleys have been ultra busy - Since traveling accross the pond from
Germany to Charleston SC on November 22 - They had Thanksgiving then Sunday they
rented a van to go to Virginia. Kinda like in the fronteir days where the family
packed up the wagon with all they had an off to a new land. The Army put them in
a Hotel and Reid was off to making lots of arrangements - Contacting his new
command , finding transportation (his vehicle is on a ship somewhere) and
finding a place to live - the choices were very very slim as Ellicia condition
had declined - taking 4 steps is a major task. Ellicia was hospitalized and
allowed to come home a few days prior to Christmas. I was worried about there
being a Christmas so a week ago i took up a live tree and decorated it (it did
not win any awards0. The niighbors have been wonderful The days have really been
long for Reid taking care of little ones and wife. So I went back up this friday
and knowing that a extended diet on McDonalds had to stop - I was able to get a
friend to cook a few dishes - I guess the habit of McDonalds was hard to change
as when lunch time came Reid said how about Peanut butter swamage -I said no I
want real food and it was wonderful. In a week - the Sergents have helped -
Realitor has helped and the Elks club has helped with food for the house - some
furniture (they had none) and helped with lots of wonderful gifts for Christmas
- I mean lots - Saturday Ellicia's mom was able to make it up so that afternoon
we loaded 2 cars and off to the Mall to see Santa - not a easy undertaking -
Ellicia has to have oxygen all the time and is in a wheel chair - the line was
long - the kids eyes wide open with anticaption to see Santa. Santa was
wonderful - they allow them head of line privelage after about 30 min wait.
After each child talked with Santa - after Santa fihished with the kids - Santa
got out of his chair walked over to Ellicia -knelt down on one leg and Talked
with her alone - I dont know what they said to each other - the smile on her
face was like a little child - so for a moment in time there was some normalice
- but there is a Santa!! From a parent - very concerned about his son and family
- I can not express in words the kindness and love each of you have desplayed
for my son and family - I has gone a long long way to making a impossible
situation - bearable. Merry Christmas - Happy Honica
- Reid's dad

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reid's Dad...you raised an amazing son..Blessings on you all

Anonymous said...

Thank you Reid's Dad.

Unknown said...

Mr. Stanley, sir,

Everyone should have a caring father such as you.

God bless your heart!

Andrea
Radio Patriot

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Sir, your son is easy to love.

Love and hugs to you all.
Katy

chrisntx said...

Thank you for sharing your son with us.

Household6 said...

Thanks for sharing the travels of the Stanely's! I bet the tree was beautiful, and would have won many awards.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this with us - very touching.

Love and God Bless you all.
Les & Colleen

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this, Reid. The love he shows both you and Ellicia is SO obvious. He may have problems writing, but he has *no* problem expressing himself. So beautiful... a treasure, for sure.

(and that Santa? There's a special place in heaven reserved for him right now, I am sure.)

Jerry said...

Mr. Reid, my sister, Pamela Bosshart, is a friend of your son's and Ellicia's. She forwarded the blogsite to me. Me and Pam lost our mother to cancer back in Sept. I understand your loss. Remember, your separation is only temporary and her peace is eternal.

Unknown said...

Mr Stanley,
You raised one fine son, a proud warrior, a wonderful father, and a husband that all men should strive to be. Thank you for sharing this with us. May God be with you, your wife, your son, and all of your family at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Reid's Dad, thank you for sharing with us. Beautiful, Sir!

Rachelle Jones said...

I am aware of how much work you must have been doing Reid, and ceratinly am sitting here wiashing there was some way I could have physically been there to help...

I am so glad she got to spend as much time as she could at home...

That was a very heartfelt note from your Dad..

thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Walter, it was an honor and a priviledge to serve your family during Ellicia's visitation.
My heart goes out to you. I will keep you and your sweet family in my daily prayers.
Frank O. Hunt