02 January 2007

Ellicia with Santa

As you may have read in my Dad's post, we had a visit with Santa.

In Germany, we never really got to visit Santa, so we really wanted to have the kids visit Santa.

We wanted to make it as much of a family event as possible, partly because we knew it'd be Ellicia's last Christmas.

On the 23rd, Ellicia was out of the hospital, my Dad was in town, her Mom was in town, and we had all of the kids. So, that evening, we loaded everyone up. We packed extra oxygen, put the wheelchair in the van, and loaded everyone into two cars. And off we went. It was around 1830, and the mall was packed with last minute shoppers. The line for Santa was about two hours long.

After a bit, the staff allowed us to move to the head of the line. The kids went through, and we had a wonderful time. They loved it. Ellica and I delighted in watching them.

Then, I went over to Santa, and asked if he would mind one more. I explained Ellicia's situation, and how we hoped maybe Santa had something special in his magical bag. He said he wasn't God (of course), but that he'd love to.

I walked over to Ellicia, and asked, "Would you like to visit with Santa?" Her eyes lit up and she said, "Yes!"

I wheeled her over, and then backed away. Keep in mind that there was a huge line of kids waiting for Santa... the staff disappeared, and Santa then spent about 10-15 minutes with Ellicia. I have no idea (and now, never will) what was said, but the looks on Ellicia's face were amazing. She truly looked like a little girl at Christmas, again. (Look at number 3).

After it was over, Santa got up and made some written notes... I wonder what her wrote?

It was a wonderful visit, and there really is a Santa. I thought I'd share this magical moment.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe.

Anonymous said...

Thank You so much for sharing your special times with a very special lady

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Reid and lovely family, my how you have enriched us all with the gift of your wife. You are all treasures to us and we abide with you as you wake and sleep. Some soft kitty-cat fur between the fingers might be a nice distraction for a few moments if she's about....
alexa kim

Anonymous said...

Magical - photos to cherish!

Household6 said...

Thanks for sharing that special moment with us. I bet she asked for a pony.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story! What a neat man to take the time to share with your precious wife! I'm sure his life was touched as much as yours, by spending those few minutes with her!

Anonymous said...

Santa may not be God, but it certainly looks like he worked some of his magic to bring about a smile like that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Reid for the lovely photos - and for Santa, what a wonderful person he must be, maybe he is not just one of Santas helpers, maybe he is one of God's helpers as well.
Les & Colleen

Unknown said...

Santa is truly a wonderful guy. If I ever run into him his favorite beverage is on me until I run out of $$. Reid, thanks for sharing this with us, you are truly a strong person and I wish you well.