31 December 2005

Why Nary A Peep*

Two-Headed Coins. That was the title I was originally working with for this particular posts. Those who've been reading for awhile know how much I enjoy the fun of titling the posts.

I was looking at today (in particular, and the time of year in general) as the end of a really rotten year, and the opportunity for a new year to begin.

A side note - isn't it interesting how we always believe that changing the digits in the date can somehow adjust the course our lives are travelling?

Anyways, I'd been looking at 2005 as a truly bad year. The unit leaving, Thomas' difficult birth, My deployment beginning, My first experience being mortared, Missing My First Anniversary (with a really wonderful woman), Seeing a Ramp Ceremony, The War Hit Close to Home (please read this one), The very concept of experiencing my 2nd attack in my life (never saw my life like THIS), and there's always... a whole new storm.

You'll notice that that's quite a few links to posts... understandably, it's easy to call it a bad year.

But life is definitely a two-headed coin. Even when it's showing heads, there's still another way to look at it.

As my Dad pointed out, this year also gave me my son, the opportunity to have a wife to share an Anniversary with (even if apart), the chance to serve my country, the chance to be home at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the chance to come home at all.

So, maybe, in retrospect, 2005 wasn't that bad. 2006 is another year, or perhaps... Sunday is just the day after Saturday. But, either way, I truly can't complain.

Through this blog, and Soldiers' Angels, we've become linked to dozens of new friends we never knew we had.

2005 was a good year, after all. And of course, let's not forget this minor day.

* So why DID I use this for a title?

1 comment:

GunnNutt said...

I keep coming back to your blog and reading your posts not just because I care about you and your family, but because you always teach me something. The way you always bounce back from the worst that life throws at you has been the best lesson. Thank you again for sharing so much of yourself in your writing.

As for the post title, I'll take a shot. Is it a reference to the lock down after the helo crash? Even though you were writing about a terrible event, that has always been one of my favorite posts.