24 May 2005

The Journey Begins...

Well, I'm off... I'm writing this from the USO lounge
in Rhein-Main AB. This base is about 6 months from
closing and is still the busiest in Europe...
I'm booked on a convoluted travel plan. It's going to
take days to get where I'm going. Most of our
contingent of 11 is going to Bagram AF, so our group
of 3 going to Kandahar has to tag along there first...

Rhein-Main -> Incirlik AB (Turkey) -> Mainz AB
(Kyrgyzstan) -> Bagram AB (Afghanistan) -> KAF.

Reported at 0400... Said goodbye to the kids last
night... very difficult to do. I ended up teaching
"Jellybean" (a bunny) how to do "Daddy-hugs" as a
stand-in for whilst I'm gone.

Ellicia is a rock... or at least, she won't let it
show. I'm continually impressed by her.

It was tough saying good-bye... we stayed up,
finishing packing, and then just holding each other
tight. All that could be said had been....

On the positive note, I'm looking forward to this
stage of the mission... Flying!!!! Woohoo.

It was a touch of homesick when I pulled up to the
terminal and there were the C-17s with the Palmetto
tree on the tail... They're from Charleston. They
even called a flight to Charleston... tempting!

So, until the next chance to drop a line to the world...

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

No comments: