29 December 2005

Insert Title Here*

I'm not sure where to even start... I'm not so much frustrated as... well, I don't even know.

Had a sit-down chat with the First Sergeant this morning. It was kindly suggested that I back off of using the offers of help from the FRG. Someone complained.

Doesn't someone always complain?

It seems that as hard as I tried to make sure I spread things out and didn't use the same people over and over (even though that meant the kids were always with new people), someone felt "used" and "overworked" and "overburdened".

Not sure how, but it doesn't matter.

Someone complained.

A phone call was made.

And the kicker is I don't know who's still on the "We'd LOVE to Help" list. So, have to drop everyone.

No more dinner help, either (even though that was never the same person twice).

So, back to paying for childcare (when available, cause the spots just aren't open). Kids are still home on winter break...

Just incredibly frustrating.

What would it take for people to be GENUINELY honest and open? If you can't help, then don't offer. If you feel motivated to say something, then offer, "You're in our thoughts" or "That's a shame..." But, if you SAY "How can I help?" or "Can I watch the kids?", then please don't complain if I take you up on it.

The FRG offered to bring meals... apparently, someone is overburdened.

The FRG offered the childcare.

But, alas. I just have to move to my fall-back plan... paying for childcare and making do best I can. $12/hour/child. Grrrrrrrr. And of course, the ONE child not in school (once the schools are running again?)... Thomas. The one place that's full-up and can't take more kids? Infant-care.

Frustrating. Sad.

But, as I told 1SG, not unexpected. In all such situations, there's always the huge swell of sympathy, empathy, and "How can we help?"... and then, it dies down. And further, it eventually turns to resentment. It's a common cycle, and it can be seen in any long-term cycle of need - be it caring for a sick person, helping out a family struck by crisis (home burns down), or even on a larger scale, Hurricane Katrina Evacuees.

Anyway, getting ready to start writing the Thank You notes. So many people HAVE been genuinely wonderful... of course, anyone of them could have also made the phone call, but as a boss of mine once taught me (he said it like a mantra), "Believe in the good of the people."

Regroup... Restrategize... Re-plan... Rebudget... Life goes on.

* - I said Insert Title Here as there were quite a few possible ones, and none struck me as a good one. So, here for those who love titles are some of the contenders:
The Downward Wave
Inevitability is Inevitable
Frustration
A Small Community
It Takes Just One Call
(Do YOU have a suggested title?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depending on how you word your thank you notes, maybe you will find out just who REALLY wants to help and weed out the less sincere.

All you can do is keep on keepin on. One step at a time. Lame cliches but true.

Anonymous said...

Your 1SG owes you some help solving this problem. I hope he can step up and deliver it.

I can't believe people would handle something like this the way it seems to have been handled. It sucks!!!

MaryAnn, are there any SA-folk nearby?

Anonymous said...

My title...

"WTF?!? over."

Anonymous said...

Tom, that's "the other MaryAnn", and I was thinking the same thing.AND, I vote for your title!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Reid - Since I don't have your way with words & my mother would get out of her grave & haunt me the rest of my days if I used Tom's title - how about "Hypocrites Are Always With Us"