25 April 2006

Not Just the Kooks...

Why should the crazy folks be the ones who have their comments moved to an actual post...

The OZzies should, too!

As Colleen mentions in her comment that I'll copy below, 25 April was (is) ANZAC day. ANZAC day commemorates the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and the Battle of Galipoli.

I was introduced to Galipoli in high school through both my history and, surprisingly, my English class. We watched the film, and then studied it intensely.

Colleen's comment:
    I thought I would let you all know out there that yesterday (Australian time) that is 25 April was ANZAC day. Do you know what that is? ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. It was the celebration of the famous landing at Gallipoi during WWI where many Australian and New Zealand lives were lost fighting for us. A Day of Rememberance for all who lay their liveson the line to fight in all Wars to help make life better for all of us today. My father was one of those who fought in WWII Thanks Reid, you are now also one of those doing likewise - appreciated by the majority. Australia does also currently have soldiers along side the US soldiers including in Afghanistan.
    Thanks
    Les & Colleen


I remember seeing the Ozzies in Afghanistan. Also seen were Canadians, Brits, Romanians, French, Spanish, and Germans. Good allies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Reid, but just one little spelling correction....we are Aussies.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Since it's still 4/25 here, I'll send my thanks to them all. The film broke my heart. The Aussies have been steadfast allies for the US. It's appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed they are Aussies. I think they all carry a little emergency jar of vegemite in case proof is needed.

Seriously, ANZAC day is a great thing.

Anonymous said...

I actually went to Gallipoli on Anzac Day (Lived in Turkey at the time). My friend and I sat in a pub and watched the movie. It was very sad and very moving.

Still April 25th, here,also. God bless Australia!