30 April 2006

Can't Believe I Bought $500 of Gas

Well, I did it. Bought $500 of gas tonight. Tomorrow, the gas prices change. AAFES sets gas prices monthly, and beginning 01 May, they'll go up twenty-five cents per gallon (or roughly 6.5 cents per liter) and stay that way all month. And since AAFES "capped" the price increase, it's likely that they'll jump in June, as well.

So I, like hundreds or thousands around Germany this weekend, bought gas coupons. These are the coupons that AAFES sells (in cooperation with Esso/Exxon) gas coupons so US customers can buy gasoline at Esso (and some Aral and BP stations) at AAFES prices. Convenient, and nice deal by Esso.

The nice trick is that AAFES accepts the coupons as well, and since they don't expire, we can use them to "hedge" our fuel prices.

Translated, I can buy May (and June, July, etc) gas at April's price. And since I'm betting that AAFES is going to raise gas prices, I went ahead and bought $500 worth of gas.

Seems to be wise since I run through about 70 liters of gas per day these days, it seems prudent to take that bet. That, and AAFES probably won't miss a chance to raise the price of gas.

(Thank goodness for credit cards!)

No comments: