19 October 2006

Army Watching Blogs

The Army has created a unit who's purpose is to read and surf the websites and blogs, especially Milblogs out there.

Why? To look for possible examples of OPSEC (Operational Security) violations. As anyone who has seen the AFN ads often enough will tell you, you can learn a lot by pieceing together small, unrelated facts to form a big picture.

Here's the release about the new unit.

And another worth reading? Blackfive, as always.

I'll admit that this freaked me out, a tad. While I believe I've been very well behaved on this blog, not revealing secrets, and staying within the UCMJ in reference to respect to superior authorities, it was unnerving. Especially with this one coincidence - the story came out the same day my blog readership spiked. Over doubled. And when I dug into the stats, most of the addresses of the folks reading the blog were from places like army.mil, pentagon.mil, andrewsairforcebase.mil, navy.mil, etc., etc., etc. YIKES! That's a lot of attention, military attention, for my little corner of the world. And then, I dug further. Apparently, that day's issue of "Stand To" had my blog listed under the "What's Being Said in Blogs" section. Apparently, they have quite the readership.

So, there are no Black Helicopters circling around the Eye of the Storm, and all is well.

And in case there's any doubt...




GO ARMY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being included in Stand To!

A mixed blessing? (Bringing many Military eyes reading it?)

At any rate, oooh rah!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that last sentence will save the day :) Think it would help if all your commenters also said, "GO ARMY"?

Anonymous said...

Go Army and you're adorable.
alexa kim