17 August 2005

Politics

I have some thoughts I want to share about what's going on with a few news items. As with ALL comments political, some out there are going to disagree. That's fine. Part of the beauty of the country. I even love a good debate. However, some ground rules. If you comment on this, have the fortitude to post an e-mail address... perhaps I'd like to respond. Second, behave yourself. Haven't deleted any comments yet, and don't want to start.

So, that said, here we go.

Cindy Sheehan

She bothers me. Not for her protest. God bless her for that. She can protest, and is doing so legally.

She's disingenuous. She says she wants a meeting with the President, and he's a coward for not meeting with her.

For starters, I invite you to read this article which covers Mrs. Sheehan's meeting with the President. The quotes are interesting. For example, we learn that the family hasn't supported the war (which is fine), and debated whether or not to mention that to the President. They decided not to, as they believed Casey (their son killed in Iraq) wouldn't want that. Further, she's quoted as saying that she believes the President genuinely cares and is a man of faith.

So, what's changed?

She's now quoted as saying that the President "bounced" into the meeting and didn't know what he was there for. Ok, step back. Do we honestly believe, that a man who has every minute of his day mapped out, has piles of briefing materials prepared for every event, and more aides than we can count... do we honestly believe that he has NO IDEA why he's in a meeting?

Does President Bush not care about the families of the Soldiers who've died? Try this Newsweek report detailing the President's meetings with families.

I don't think so. I have no doubt that the President anguishes when troops die. He ordered them there.

So, what does Mrs. Sheehan want? Well, she's started by saying she wants to hear the President tell her why her son died. But, apparently, her mind is closed to what he'll say. Reference this transcript of a speech she gave at a Veterans for Peace gathering. Some interesting quotes there. It's a tough read because she rambles (forgivable, she's not yet a practiced public figure), but you'll see where she not only wants America out of Iraq, she wants Israel out of Palestine, she's not paying taxes, and this is all about oil (I'll come back to that one).

According to Mrs. Sheehan, This country is not worth dying for.

I don't doubt that Mrs. Sheehan grieves for her son's loss. I'm just not quite sure what she's wanting to achieve. Reading her speeches and quotes, she's all over the place. Very angry (understandable), but... I don't know what she wants.

I certainly can't blame the President for not giving her a bigger forum. I doubt that it'd change anything, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reid, good posts. My heart goes out to her for the loss of her son. However, I think this episode goes far beyond the tragic fact that her son died. From all I've read she had these views for a long time. To me it is tragic that the son's death becomes a tool for politics.

Mark A. said...

She's good for both sides, Republicans and Democrats. She's helping Bush just as much as she's helping Democrats. I invite you to read my post on this here: http://hyperliterature.blogspot.com/2005/08/im-sick-of-this-crap.html