21 August 2005

Something I wrote...

In church today... after we started off with the announcement of four more Soldiers dying.

I felt suddenly moved to start writing. What follows flowed into me... there's a tune with it in my head, but then... I'm not great at writing tunes.

Part of this springs from the recent Cindy Sheehan events, and of course, a lot of the other protests...

So, here it is.

"Untitled - for now"

The ribbon has faded now.
A tattered flag hangs with shame.
And your voice shouts out, “How
Have we now lost our aim?”

They say we support our troops,
But we’ve got to bring them back.
Their mission is… a colossal “Oops!”
Give ‘em the safety they now lack.

But what you call our support
Means you’re wishing us to fail:
To not defend America – our Fort!
To tuck twixt our legs our tail.

Do you want it to be for naught?
Do you want them all to win?
Give them the victory they sought?
Have our buildings fall again?

We volunteered to stand on this wall.
To guard against all our foes.
We know that some will tragically fall…
Stopping that which evil sows.

So it comes to this, that we ask –
Please, support us now all the way.
Fight the fight, finish the task…
R’mber, God Bless the USA!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reid, I see you have some of your mothers talents.

Les & Colleen

Anonymous said...

It's good, Reid. I hear some familiarities.

Anonymous said...

That's really good! If you can hum it, I'll pick it out on the piano... & if forced, I can write the music.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Reid.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to my sister Angel ,I was able to read your ode ! Perhaps you can send your heartfelt words to Daniel Smith ,Country music's newest singer that sings the praises of our HEROES !!!!!! Only thru the eyes and heart of a soldier can we TRULY understand !
Your ode is BEAUTIFUL ! It surely tugs at my heart ! YOU ARE SO BRAVE ! Never Forget for ONE moment how many here back at Home support you ALL for your sacrifice for us !!! Honestly , if you really want the world to know how you feel ,try getting it put to music ! Daniel Smith is ALSO a Soldiers 'Angel ! Easy for you to get in touch with him !
Catwoman1227@aol.com
Bless You and Be Safe !!!!
Ethel -Maryland Angel

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid!
Great poem! EVERYBODY I know supports you guys & is incredibly grateful for the job you're doing and sacrafices you're making. For some reason our news media thinks that the very vocal and SMALL minority of anti-war folks make better news. Please don't buy it for a minute.
Chin up.
Helmet on.
Thanks for all you do and for blogging too.

Anonymous said...

As a military member that poem cerainly rang true to me. Good job.

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT poem...you are very talented!! I read it on the Soldiers' Angels message board...so glad I did!! We love you and support you...until each of you come home!