28 March 2007

Government Living

There are those who seem to wish that the government would enter more and more of our lives.


Somehow, life will be better if the evil, money-grubbing corporations got out of our way, stopped keeping us down ("The Man!"), and we were treated equally by our beloved government agency of choice. Why... the honeypot would flow freely with the delights.

Uh huh.

Enlist. And you'll be introduced to life with the government in every corner of your life.

I'll give you a slice that made my day oh so perky today.

I get a call from the "Child Development Center" (same letters as Community Day Care) that T was suspected of having Pink Eye. This is one of their things that gets you sent home. I had an hour to come and get him.

Once I got him, he would not be readmitted until 1) A Doctor cleared him or 2) he had been taking medication for at least 24 hours.

So, after alerting work that I was basically gone for the day, I went and picked T up.

He looked fine and was in good spirits.

As it was nearly noon, I knew we needed to go ahead and go to the Doctor as soon as possible so the clock on the medicine could start as soon as possible.

I even called ahead. The Pediatric clinic said they couldn't see him; I'd have to take him to the Urgent Care Clinic. I was not allowed to take him to any other facilities (even though this area is crowded with military bases and medical facilities).

So, off to the UCC we went. Checked in. From experience, I noted the time. Quarter after twelve.

Meanwhile, it should be noted that T has not had his nap, and I have minimal entertainment supplies.

He's seen... triaged... very quickly. Then, we return to waiting. There are signs reminding us not to leave without checking out (and risking missing our call). So, we sit. And walk around the clinic. And sit.

We've used up all of our easy games within about the first 15 minutes. I can't let him crawl around on the floor, run wild, or anything else... There's a Soldier leaning over his chair, a spit/vomit bucket on the floor. They change it from time to time as he fills it.

So, I hold him tight. Surprise, he's not wild about this.

We go through various screaming tantrums - during which I like to make sure I'm sitting right by the front desk. I figure if they'd like the screaming to stop, they'll speed things up a bit.

Any one want to wager how long we waited in the "Urgent" Care Clinic?

Noooo, longer than that.

Three hours and forty-five minutes.

3:45 with a child who didn't want to be there, had no nap (though he eventually dozed in my arms), and was also hungry.

And, he did not have Pink Eye. The doctor pronounced him a "very healthy little boy".

Duh.

I knew that, and I didn't have to spend a semester of medical school waiting in the UCC!



The Eventual Care Clinic, aka the Overflow from All Other Clinics Clinic, is horrible. And, I have no choice on whether I can take T (or M) (or me) there when we need to see a doctor.

Effect? Well, I had zero productivity, plus someone filled in for me, plus the doctor could have seen someone else, plus T has a powerful set of lungs on him, so there may be some toddler-induced hearing loss for some folks.

And he doesn't have Pink Eye. I now have a Doctor's note to that effect, so he can return to school.

Oh goodie.

And people wonder why I cringe when I see the CDC is calling.

1 comment:

Reasa said...

3 hours 45 minutes..that's all? I have waited in a AF Family Pratice Clinic with a scheduled appointment for over 4 hours. I was pregrant with a 1 1/2 year old who was tired and hungry. And people get excited when I say our healthcare is free. I want to smack those people.