22 March 2007

Availed Myself of a Babysitter

I took myself to dinner tonight. Break from the kids, if nothing else.

Babysitter came over (young college student - just turned 21!). I changed to something simple, and left...

Went to Red Lobster. Why not? Good food, steak and shrimp...

Brought along a book for company. (The Fair Tax Book by Neal Boortz and Congressman John Linder, if you must know... good read - finished it).

Was seated at a small, single booth.

Felt very lonely.

No conversation... though, I must say, there were quite a few times when I would pause, look up, across the table, and I could just "see" Ellicia sitting there smiling back, with her head cocked just so... eyes twinkling.

Quiet dinner...


(Well, almost... there were a couple of cell phones (why is it that the more obnoxious and loud the ringtone is, the deeper and under more archaeologic layers the cell phone is in the purse?)... some loud families (hey, *I* was paying for a babysitter... support your local young adult!)... and the guy behind me couldn't sit still, shifting the booth constantly... but, I didn't really care... just enjoyed my dinner, my book, and from time to time, stared across the table.)

Good dinner.

6 comments:

ma content said...

When you finally get to Applebee's, remember that we're thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Haven't checked in in a minute. All I have to say is "YIPPEE! You're baaaaack! You've still got the gift!

Kat said...

(HUGS)

Good for you... glad you got to enjoy a quiet dinner... i think it was good for you to do that. (hugs)

Hang in there... we're with you....

Anonymous said...

It's nice to read that you are doing ok, taking those little first steps.

Anonymous said...

As someone who feels her dining experience is often negatively impacted by parents who refuse to control their children, I thank you for thinking of us, AGAIN, while taking care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Good for you....keep taking care of yourself