22 March 2007

All the Mommies Say, "Awwww...."

I was relaxing, fighting off the sleep monster. I could tell he was nearby. His heavy growl sounding like the sawing of hundreds of logs. He was coming for me.

And then, I thought I heard a cry. Yes, sounds like another nightmare from the kids. While I hate that they have nightmares (shouldn't I be the only one?), it does give me a chance to be SuperDad... to feel like I'm doing something. To calm them, reassure them, chase the frightening monster away... to tell them it's ok, and Mommy and Daddy still love them (it's ALWAYS "Mommy and Daddy Love You" at nighttime).

I go in to their room which, due to the lateness of the hour and the unconsciousness of the inhabitants, for once does not look like a mini-warzone. M is asleep. Soundly. It wasn't her.

T. I go over there, and he's still, but I can tell he's somewhat awake. Deep breathing, but flickering of eyelids. I kneel down, caress him, stroke his forehead and cheek. My right forearm is next to him, allowing me to balance as I lean towards him (he's on the far side of his bed).

He rolls over, grabs my arm, and cuddles in tight. I'd move, but my melting heart is having trouble pumping enough blood. I kiss him, stroke his cheek some more, and massage his spine... he smiles, flickers his eyes, and his breathing gets deeper. I remind him that Mommy and Daddy love him... more smile...squeeze and pull closer on the arm.

I take his bear, Friend, and move it closer... Dads are great, but... Friend is Friend. He grabs Friend, albeit with a strong chokehold, and rolls over. I re-tuck him in... smile to E, and leave.

Such a good boy. I think I'll go ahead and buy him his first car now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww.....how can you not say it?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as for his first car....I hear Wally World has a nice selection of Matchbox cars.

Anonymous said...

I'm sending this hug for you ((((hug))))

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that gets an AWWW from me, too!

I just love your posts!

Anonymous said...

All the non-mommies say Awwwww, too!

Anonymous said...

You are such a good dad!