31 January 2006

Unbelievable in Newark

I am still livid from all of this...

Our experience with Continental Airlines has been nothing short of phenomenal. I cannot credit them enough.

The ground staff at airports however, and by airports I believe I'll single out Newark Liberty International for now, need improvement.

Vast improvement.

Due to the treatments and the disease, Leesh has been needing a wheelchair for long distances. She just doesn't have the energy for long walks.

It'd been prearranged through the airline for wheelchairs to be waiting for us at the gates. On arrival in Newark (both directions), it wasn't there. On the return trip, one NEVER showed up. We were lucky, and I found one (with the help of the Continental staff). Since we had a six hour layover in Newark, we staked out a spot in the Food Court, where Ellicia entered into one of her many naps.

Much to our shock, one of the wheelchair company (yes, there's a company that just does the wheelchairs)wheelchair drivers came up, woke my wife, and told us she'd have to vacate the chair. Now, she's IN the chair...

I explain to him that she's using the chair. He tells us that she'll be able to make the gate with no problem given five hours to get there.

I start to become... "more vigorous" in my defense of my wife, explaining she's not getting out of the chair. At this point, I notice out of my peripheral vision (thank you, Army) that some airport agents are circling, talking with their radios... and quickly decide that spending the night in Newark is NOT the way for this trip to go. So, I back off, and we let the chair go away.

I immediately went to the nearest Continental desk, where the staff (horrified they seemed to be) called for another wheelchair.

It was then that the company's shift supervisor (I'm being very good by not posting their name and website here) heard of our plight and began a quest to find us a decent wheelchair, find the creep who took the first one (never did, never will), and have us fill out complaint forms.

Just shocked that this could happen. Who goes and forces someone from the wheelchair?

Anyway, the rest of the trip was delightful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "expletive deleted", and once again kudos to Continental.