04 October 2005

Follow the Yellow Brick Road...

Well, I'm in Kuwait now...
(Another place on the planet I never thought I'd be.)

They sent us here on a C-17. A Charleston AFB C-17.
And, as much as I'd been hoping for a C-17 to take me home... and Charleston being such a good home... should I read anything into...

It was "The Spirit of Charleston" that took me out of there. The lead C-17 out of Charleston (I remember when she was delivered!) flew me and 50 other very happy folks out of Kandahar.

Along the way, we were able to stretch out and sleep on the floor. And for a lucky few, there was the chance to go up to the cockpit deck and say hi... check out the view (it was tremendous) and chat with fellow Charlestonians. They were genuinely surprised and pleased to see someone who knew where all the places were, that CAFB once had C-141's (nice bird, now retired), and remembered C-17's coming to CAFB... starting with "Spirit of Charleston".

What a pleasure to be on her. Great ride. C-17's were all I'd hoped it be. Very comfortable, and an amazing aircraft.


[Interesting aside]
Latrine was a bit full, so the males were directed to use the "Troop toilets". In the rear of the aircraft, one on each side, are essentially fancy tubes... designed to fit... er, men... to allow immediate relief of a liquid nature. Needless to say, quite a few folks took advantage of the opportunity to show their excitement and "Pee on the Stan" before we left the airspace.

As we flew over the gulf, we had an EXCELLENT view of the Palm islands in the gulf. Click on http://www.thepalm.ae/ to see what I mean.

Anyway, am here at the Global Military waystation... It's like Atlanta for the military... wherever you go, you have to change planes in Kuwait.

More later.

Schuss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are finally going your way. Have a great R & R