30 October 2005

Back in the Stan

Well, I made it back.

Apparently, from talking with the staff, they were quite determined to get the 120+ of us that were backed up waiting for Kandahar... out of there. The higher ups had started to get involved as we were holding the R&R for other Soldiers (10% rule - since it IS combat, units aren't allowed to have more than 10% of their strength on R&R). The Air Force, unable to provide C-17's due to other committments (the war, Pakistan, etc) provided two C-130s for the flight back.
Oh goody.

A C-130 flight from Kuwait to Afghanistan is approximately 5 1/2 hours. 5 1/2 hours in a small plane packed tightly with Soldiers. You sit on web seats, sideways. Two groups of two rows, facing each other running the length of the plane. Most often, your knees interlock with the opposite side. There are two good seats - the ones at each end. And a C-130 is a propeller craft, so... it flies lower, and bumpier. Never... never, ever complain about coach class.

They took us to the air base. We processed through, and then sat in giant holding tents (complete with cots, bottled water, and a wide MRE selection - that didn't bode well). We waited for a few hours, until we were herded back onto the buses for the drive to the planes. At which point, we sat on the buses for two more hours.

At this point, when they said it was time to board, people rushed. I saw the C-130, and held back... ("Wow, look at the stars...") Thus, I arranged to be near the end and scored a semi-comfortable seat.

We took off with a comfortable, vibrating drone from the 4 huge turboprops. Most of the 60 other folks crammed in couldn't move, and just tried to sleep as they were.

*I* was able to prop feet up, and after about 45 minutes, and 4 various contortionistic positions, found one that worked - 1 foot propped in one direction, 1 leg up in the other, bent 90 degrees, leaned over sideways. It was super comfy and I fell asleep.

I even sort of slept through our near-tactical landing. A tactical landing is unlike the one you're used to on GetMeThereCheap Airlines. Those are long, straight, and gentle. A tactical airline starts high directly over the airfield and then the pilot dives to the ground, corkscrewing, until he pulls out at the end and lands on the runway. If you're not careful, the MRE's can be given an out-of-body experience.

When they opened the ramp to the plane, I had the same thought as many others... (they thought aloud)... it was CHILLY. Apparently, in the month I was gone, Kandahar had left summer for deep fall. Brrrrr.

The Commander seemed happy to have me back. Sent me on a mission 2 minutes (literally, I checked my watch) after I checked back into the unit.

Somewhere, I must have passed 1SG as he went on leave. Since he's gone, I'm upstairs in my office full time - no birds. It'll probably mean it'll have been 2 months passed by the time I'm back to wrenches.

I still take it as a compliment, though, as I'm supporting the Acting 1SG as she tries to keep her head above water. Work had piled up and overall, she seemed happy I was back as well.

And thrilled and happy I am to be here, too.

In all seriousness, KAF isn't bad. From my R&R transit time, I was able to speak with quite a few Soldiers who are in places worse than mine doing jobs I don't want to do (or else, I'd have joined the Infantry). These guys are real heroes and deserve so much credit for what they do. I am impressed and in awe of them... and humbled.

Meanwhile, four and a half months to go.

2 comments:

GunnNutt said...

I take it you're not bored anymore? Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

Nectarmaiden here....Wow, you really give ma a realistic glimpse into your daily life.