31 July 2005

Thanking Soldiers...

I'm not about to presume to speak for all servicemembers...

But.

I thought I'd give a peek behind the curtain. Many, many of you write in with messages of "Thank You" in one form or another. Y'all seem shocked, and I suppose justifiably, when you find out from your Soldier that... we're not too comfortable with that. You'll hear that we're "just doing our job" or some other response.

I'm one of those. I don't feel comfortable with the Thank You's. They ARE appreciated. I just don't feel like I'm doing anything that special. There's guys sacrificing even more, and who deserve heaps of praise.

That's one side of the thought process.

Now, when we get together and talk amongst ourselves, you'll hear how much we'd like to be thanked and appreciated for what we're doing over here. Yes, I know... I just said we're not comfortable with it.

So, how can we have it both ways?

Finally came to me. Soldiers don't like the individual attention. Just doing our job. BUT, we do want the effort en masse to be appreciated. Make sense?

Goes to why it's hard to get Soldiers to make requests for care packages... individual vs. group, thing.

So, I hope this helps some... Guess it sums up to... Soldiers don't want the spotlight on themselves, more like the floodlight on everyone...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent explanation Reid. Makes a whole lot of sense and makes that "mumbling" response when asked what would you like much more understandable. Thanks. Oops :-)

Anonymous said...

I understand where you're coming from, but we HAVE to say Thank You, and we can only do it one Soldier at a time...

Maybe we should just say, "Y'all do good work - and it's much appreciated"! That better?

Anonymous said...

Miss B, I agree.

Anonymous said...

While I understand those who say I am only doing my job, I am inspired by the outpouring of support for thsoe who serve. I remember 35 to 40 years ago, when my troops were insulted on the public streets of the United States because they wore their country's uniform. "Another time." you say. But those soldiers were serving our country, too. Now they serve as the result of a cowardly attack, Pearl Harbor-like. I remember the pain of soldiers in their teens and twenties, publically condemned by their countymen and -women the sme age, "for doing their job." I am glad you are being thanked, appreciated, and supported. It is better than being spat upon, when returning to the "world" from RVN.

Anonymous said...

While I understand those who say I am only doing my job, I am inspired by the outpouring of support for thsoe who serve. I remember 35 to 40 years ago, when my troops were insulted on the public streets of the United States because they wore their country's uniform. "Another time." you say. But those soldiers were serving our country, too. Now they serve as the result of a cowardly attack, Pearl Harbor-like. I remember the pain of soldiers in their teens and twenties, publically condemned by their countymen and -women the sme age, "for doing their job." I am glad you are being thanked, appreciated, and supported. It is better than being spat upon, when returning to the "world" from RVN.