06 July 2008

Cruel and Unusual

I've had a lot of thoughts in my head of late (here, here, and here), spurred by the recent passing of Punk Rock Mommy.

And as I was chatting with my dear friend, I drew a connection.

I first was thinking back to one of my favorite Star Trek quotes, "How we face Death is at least as important as how we face Life."

And that's true, because for many, Death comes unexpectedly. Unplanned. Unanticipated.

Yet, there are those who know that Death is coming.

They've been told they are going to die. Not exactly when, but... It WILL happen.

Then, they get told that Death is soon approaching. Probably within a month, but no other details.

And finally, you know... Today is your last day.

It's Death Row.

Except, these people are not criminals. They've committed no horrific atrocity.


So, I ask... If we as a society complain about the cruel and unusual nature of executions on Death Row... Executions of our society's most heinous members..

Why are we not more vocal and active in our complaints against the executions of our more innocent members? The children who die from cancer.. The mothers... Wives... Fathers... Sons... Husbands... Daughters... And those indistinguishable people who are mere faces in the crowd that no one even notices is missing...

Priorities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(I think this is where the sound of crickets chirping comes in.) You wrote before about "will". We had the will to go to the moon. Why don't we have the will to confront this with the same determination. I think I'm going to be spending some time thinking about the why of that.

Anonymous said...

M*A I think I can answer that, and kida reiterate what SC has already said.

The precious loved ones who leave us through cancer, do not make political brownie points for anybody. As SC said, these wives, mothers, sisters, brothers, fathers, are far too busy BEING, living, sharing their love to be out there demanding the attention.

As PRM so eloquently show us (yes, present tense) for those living the cancer path, there is more important work to be done for and with those who love them.

Okay so I AM rambling. I think I just may have to write a post on this..