12 May 2006

Great Start to the Day

Today was an early start to the day. Yesterday, my Platoon Sergeant called and asked if we could swing coming to a formation. It'd be at 0715. Now, that's too early for the girls' schools, but at least, I'd be able to drop Thomas off early to CDC.

So, why not... it'd be good to let the command see what we've been working so hard to achieve... and why I've been gone all this time... a walking/talking Ellicia ($19.95 at your local Wally-world!).

So, we awake super early, or in my case, I awake again... as Thomas woke me about four times during the night, the latest being all of 35 minutes before the alarm was scheduled to go off (naturally).

Feed, clothe, do CDC prep, etc... get in the uniform, and we toddle off to the hangar.

Why are we doing this? Well, seems it's time for the monthly award ceremony, and I'm receiving my Army Good Conduct Medal. Now, it's not the highest level award you can get, by a long shot. It's the one you get by showing up and not getting in to trouble. As I explained to E, it's one that's more noticed if you don't have it, than if you do.

My alleged Army Commendation Medal (a little higher on the medal food chain) is supposedly in a shipping container somewhere between here and 'Stan.

Anyways, it was actually a nice deal, because the kids got to see me play "Soldier" - marching and all. Plus, since they WERE there, after all, the command brought them up to pin the thingy on me. Top even displayed his wonderful sense of humor by telling E, "Don't be shy... give him a kiss... we won't give him too hard of a time."

What I really wanted, though, came later. After the formations and all the Soldier stuff, I found the CO. He'll soon be on his way, but I needed to talk to him. Our unit is rather laid back... we don't always do the salutes that we should... usually the first one lingers. However, I made a point of approaching him, coming to attention, and saluting. After the return, I went to At-Ease, and told him that I'd like him to meet my wife. Someone whom he'd had a direct part in ensuring was here today.

I told him how much he meant to our family. After all, first he'd allowed me to stay behind to witness the birth of our son. And then, allowing me the unheard of, and unexpected, lattitude to tend to my family these past six months. I squared up, and told him, "Sir, you have meant more to my family than you can know, and I'd follow you anywhere." And then saluted.

The CO didn't have to make the decisions he did... should I ever be able to lead others again (not since my civvie life), I hope that I'll be able to follow in his footsteps.

It was a great start to the day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a neat blog, Reid! A good day all around. Bet your CO enjoyed it, too! Brought a tear (or two) to my eye.

Anonymous said...

When it rains, it pours...you've had your share of the thunderstorms...may this be the beginning of a torrent of good things :-)

Heidi said...

So nice to read your blog. I have follwed since learning of your wife's illness (not sure how I linked up to you). Great news to hear she is getting better day by day. As a former Company Commanders wife, it brought tears to my eyes at your description of your CO. You usually only hear complaining . . . I am sure he appreicated it. Happy Day to you and the entire family!

Anonymous said...

Good conduct indeed. Good manners, and just thinking to thank someone instead of the usual complaints they always hear. It may not be a major medal, but you should wear yours proudly because you get it for what you do and have done rather than for not doing the mess-up things some people do. You make an older heart proud.

Anonymous said...

It was truly a pleasure to read someone giving credit to their CO. Yours obviously deserved it and it's nice to see him recognized for his compassion. I'm sure your words made him feel 10 feet tall.