23 May 2006

Follow-up to Veterans Day Dismissal

Related to the Veterans Day debacle in Stamford, CT...

I wrote an e-mail to the school board and mayor expressing my feelings regarding their decision. While I have not heard back from the school board, Beverly A. Aveni, Executive Aide to the Mayor did send a response.

She forwarded the Mayor's response which will be presented at tonight's Board of Education meeting:


    May 23, 2006

    To: Dr. Joshua Starr, Superintendent of Schools
    Board of Education Members

    From: Mayor Dannel P. Malloy


    In the past several days you and I have received communications from many individuals dismayed by your recent vote to eliminate Veteran’s Day as a school holiday. Although I realize that your decision was not made in haste, nor was it made in any way to discredit the contributions of our nation’s veterans, I urge you to reconsider.

    I support our local veterans who believe that Veteran’s Day should be recognized as it has been for many years. We recognize many other days on the school calendar where we appropriately commemorate individuals and groups for the contributions they have made to our country.

    If after careful consideration you still believe that an additional day of instruction is necessary for our students, I suggest that a series of meetings be held with local veterans so that we may honor them in a way they believe is appropriate.


So, we shall see what happens now that the good Mayor has stuck the proverbial finger into the wind...

No comments: