15 July 2008

We Lost a Buddy


Last night, I received word that my cousin, Charles A. "Buddy" Lockwood, had died.

He died... living life the way he enjoyed it... he was riding his motorcycle when a lorry pulled out in front of him... and in that instant, Buddy was gone.

For me, Buddy has always been... well, an enigma. He's the closest to me in age of all of my cousins on my Dad's side of the family. And for a long time, I felt he was setting a bar for me that I could never hope to achieve -- that is, until I realized the bar was his, and his alone... I had my own bar.

Buddy (or "Charlie" as he apparently picked up as a nickname later in life) lived an amazing life filled with high achievement. He had a doctorate in Anatomical Sciences from the University of Witwatersrand (that's in South Africa!). He taught at the University College London. He'd been on archaelogical digs throughout Africa.

He's published, and has books for sale on Amazon.com! While I Googled him, I even saw where he'd been quoted on Foxnews.

And, amazingly enough to the family at the time, he was even a United States Marine! (I still remember his graduation.)

My main memory though is from childhood. Usually around Thanksgiving, the entire clan would gather. Being by far the youngest (most of my cousins out-age me by decades, not years), I would hole up in Buddy's room. I remember it being filled with books, from science fiction to a seemingly endless Garfield collection. And endless games of Choplifter...

Buddy was an affable, low-key guy... But with a powerful mind that was always working...

He's going to be missed... His mind, his gentle laugh... his good nature.

(If you'd like to read his "In Memoriam" and all the wonderful comments, please go to this page on Anthropology.net.)

Other tributes here, here, here, the University's announcement, and here. Photos from the charleslockwood.shutterfly.com">memorial service in Arizona (use password "ethiopia"). Here is an article from the Islington Gazette.

** Update ** - Not unsurprisingly in this modern world, the family has started a blog to provide a communications focus. Please, stop by and lend a word or two of support if you would like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you and his family.

Anonymous said...

I grew up here in Charlotte with your cousin, Buddy. I sat next to him in class back in 7th grade at Carmel Jr. High. As you say, I remember he was a low key guy, but very bright; far more than most of us in that class. I remember during lulls in class, he used to doodle on paper, drawing very intriquite detail of flying spaceships, rockets, and that sort of thing. Just the kind of thing to grab a 7th grader's attention! I lost track of him once he went off to the NC school of science & math, but I would occasionally get updates from my mom when she ran into Buddy's mom here in Charlotte.

I absolutely couldn't believe it when I saw his name in the obituary section of our local paper. Up until this week, I still had in my mind a picture of that baby-faced, bookish kid from junior high. It reminded me how much time has passed since then, seeing photos of him at today's service; bearded (w/ pony tail!), out on the hiking trails, looking healthy, strong, and full of life.

Buddy lived a great life, and it is crushing to know he's gone. God bless Buddy and the Lockwood family.

Steve Ball
Charlotte, NC

sarah said...

Your cousin Buddy (charlie) was my lecturer this year for paeloanthropology at UCL. He was the best lecturer I have had and this sentiment was shared by many. A kind giving and generous person with time and help.

he will be very much missed