03 February 2010

My Love for Government Indoctrination Centers

I took M to school this morning (after a two hour "snow" delay). While signing her in, I noticed on the window sill the American flag - all balled up and waiting forlornly to fly from the flagpole.

After M was on her way, I asked the receptionist if she'd like me to raise their flag for them. Figured why not, being in uniform and all... Seemed a reasonable request.

She demurred, saying the custodians would ensure it was raised.

Sigh.

I countered with, "In that case, could someone please fold it properly so it's not sitting balled up on the window sill?"

She, without looking, tells me that it's not balled, but actually folded. Right.She then proceeded to get the flag, and... place it in a drawer.

I continue my love for Government Indoctrination Centers.

2 comments:

M*A said...

I am so totally impressed with your restraint. (That receptionist doesn't know how lucky she is to have gotten away with you just walking away.)

At my work, I think I have finally gotten my point across that the American Flag (even if it's one made in China) is to be hung a certain way. It's not the same thing as the cutsey garden flags.

On three occasions now I've found flags laying on a shelf or bunched up. I took them, properly fold them, and they are now on a shelf in my work area. On occasion someone in a higher position than myself has inquired about them. I explain that I found them laying on the floor or a shelf so I took care of them. Not a word...walked away.

Anonymous said...

As an American, a supporter of our Armed Forces, and a public school educator, I am appalled at the conduct of the school employee in your post. While the first two actions may be explained away (i.e., it truly is the custodians responsibility; the shoddy folding may have been a student's attempt), her decision to place the flag in a drawer was a metaphoric slap in your face. It was, at best, unprofessional and , at worst, unpatriotic.

Having read your blog for a long while, I know that you have a talent with words. I'm sure you can can find just the right way to make the principal aware of this situation.

(I can also tell you that every employee at my "goverment indoctination center" would have been as equally appalled.) :)