02 May 2008

Birthdays Lost...

... But not forgotten.

Today is 02 May. Ellicia would have been 41 today.

It's notable to me now how I've managed to move from this being a Day of Celebration to a Day of Grief... To a Day of Remembrance and Honor.

I think it's no small cosmic coincidence that the closest Avon Walk for Breast Cancer to me is in Washington, D.C. On the weekend of Ellicia's birthday, no less. I register/check-in tonight, on her birthday.

It is a truth of this disease (and so many others) that it's "below the radar" for many until it touches them personally; and then, when it's over, it fades from view again. The hectic routine of "Daily Life" reasserts its firm grasp on our attention span - as it should.

I am honored and humbled by the support that has poured forth for this walk

No comments: