21 April 2007

Blue Skies Darkened

In Beaufort, SC, today... at an airshow I've attended many a time... the Blue Angels lost an aircraft. And more importantly, the pilot as well.

For those who fly, and especially those who perform in the business, they know that what the Blue Angels (and others, too, like the Thunderbirds) make look so easy and effortless, is in fact, a dangerous business.

What they do in their acts are no different than the skills used by the pilots in our military everyday.

And yet, accidents do happen. I suspect that whatever happened, most likely a failure in the aircraft, happened so quickly that there was little time to react and save himself, or he sacrificed himself to try to steer the crash away from a crowded area of spectators (if true, he is a hero).

Either way, today a family lost one of their own... and thousands of people who came to be awed by professionals performing feats of flying seemingly incredible were instead given a hard lesson that nothing is flawless all the time. Things go wrong, and tragedy can touch at any time.

I was shocked by this... as I spent the day at the home of the Blue Angels. Never suspecting that today, one wasn't coming home.

Rest in peace, Sir.





(Edit: There's a very moving, and wonderful tribute here.)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I too was saddened to hear the news -- it came through as an alert in my email in box, and it stopped me cold.

One of our finest and most proficient has broken the bonds of earth...

Reminiscent of the tragedy in 1982 with the Thunderbirds....

Anonymous said...

Lt. Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis, Godspeed.

Unknown said...

You're right -- this is a moving tribute. Sounds like Lt. Cmd. Davis was a heckuva nice guy. Our loss.

Anonymous said...

So sad but He died doing what he loved. How many people can we say that about?
God rest his soul bless the family he leaves behind.
I had the privilege of seeing them perform, only once. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hello fair soldier, I'm very sad about this terrible accident. It has always been my belief G*d is greatly pleased by their beautiful maneuvers across His sky.
Soon, they will be back, better than ever, and Cmdr. Davis will be smiling on them.
You're on my mind and in my prayers, chiddrens, kitty and all.

Anonymous said...

Hello dear Reid and family, I am thinking about you and had to drop a line. You're in my prayers still. Until soon again.

Anonymous said...

Hope all is well with you and yours. You are missed.

Anonymous said...

The Angels will fly again soon. Please let us know if you go to their next show and tell us about it.

You're on my mind and in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

27 سال در جهت افزودن به کیسه سرمایه داران کارگر ایرانی در حاشیه قرار داده شد و نجس های افغانی با یک سوم دستمزد در ایران استخدام و پول نفت ایران در حلقوم کثیف افغان سرازیر شد.

سنده خوک تو کس ننه افغانستانیهای مقیم ایران.
Gohome Afghanian workers outside of Iran.