06 November 2006

Angels Amongst Us

I want to take a moment to honor the Angels who are amongst us. They come from many walks of life, and of diverse beliefs (religious, political, what-have-you), and yet they have come together for the common cause of supporting troops.

These Angels support the troops in different ways, whether it be through care packages, supportive letters, and e-mails. Some make craft objects, cookies, blankets, and other adornments. Some spend immense amounts of their own money to buy whatever they perceive their troops need. And let's not discuss postage.

They devote hours of their time to people they've never met, and may never meet.

One of the largest organizations of such people is called Soldiers' Angels.

Which leads me to this. One of my Angels recently felt moved to have a very special tattoo, her first, done. It is the Soldiers' Angels logo. She said she did it to remind herself of a time in her life when she felt she tangibly "did something". She knew she'd been able to help people (and I assure you, she has).

She allowed me to share this picture on one condition. I had to include a poem that she feels speaks to why she became an Angel and what keeps her motivated. I personally feel that the Angels amongst us deserve so much recognition, as they are what the military would call a "Force Multiplier". They keep Soldiers' spirits up and provide support in many ways, most tangible, but quite a few intangible. So, for all those of you who wonder about Angels... they are amongst us.



"I am only one; but still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
but I still can do something.
I will not refuse to do
the something I can do."
-Helen Keller

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clarification: *only* tattoo. :-) Can't think of anything that could top this or mean more.

blank said...

Wow, that poem says EXACTLY why I joined Soldiers' Angels! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you...*sniff*...beautiful tattoo!

Anonymous said...

From one SA to another...Awesome!!

Kat said...

that is TOO DARN COOL. If I wasn't so allergic to PAIN and terrified of NEEDLES, I'd get one too, LOL. But I'm a grade-A, first class WIMP, so the t-shirt will ahve to do, lol

Anonymous said...

I haven't visited your sited in ages and it's a sad thing because I have it bookmarked in my favorites. Glad to hear that you are coming home. Glad to hear that things are progressing. Maybe it was fate that I clicked on your site today??? I will be getting a tattoo soon and wanted it to be something special. Seeing this blew my mind. Now I want one too. What a beautiful way to pay tribute to those I support!

Soldiers' Angel since January 2004.

Anonymous said...

Angel hugs...

Angel Cheryl, Oklahoma

Anonymous said...

That peom is also why I joined
Soldier Angels. It says it all.