14 February 2006

The Liberated Husband

Recently, Betty Friedan, often considered the founder of the "feminist" movement, died.

And more recently, I have come to a new understanding of feminism and the liberation of women.

One of the key concepts was that women didn't have to stay in the home... they could have a family and a career.

For several months now, I've had the blissful pleasure of being a stay-at-home dad. Not only have I earned a newfound respect for all the work Ellicia (and other mom's) go through keeping homes running straight, but I've discovered the true meaning of feminism.

Over the several months, I've often had the thought that continuing my duty in Afghanistan (or even returning to work) would have been easier than my new duties. And thus, the revelation. I don't think feminism was about wanting more freedom to join the workplace as it was wanting the freedom to escape the house.

And I don't blame them.

Seventeen years to go... (but then, as our parents will be quick to note, I hear you're never truly free of your children...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! 17 years? Not hardly, but hold on to the hope, you need *something* to shoot for.

Meanwhile, do your best, and my regards to your wife and family.