24 July 2010

There's *Always* A Story...

I often, even now several years later, receive notes, comments, emails, and so forth from people who tell me that our story is "very sad", and "quite tragic".  I have long since learned not to argue, no matter how much I wish to demur, because I know one simple, horrifying truth.
 
There's always a story.  Today's local paper carried the story of SPC Clay McGarrah and his bride... widow, Emily.  It's heartbreaking, as all such tales of Love and Loss are. 
 
I'm glad, quite honestly, to see it carried above the fold on the front page of our paper here in NC.  The family is from a small town in Arkansas, and no doubt, it was the whole page of their local paper.  I say I'm glad because as those who are connected to the War(s) will tell you - to most, it doesn't fit into their daily thoughts at all.  Lebron, Oil, Mel, President Obama... our nation's media, in some part due to our public consciousness and consensus, has declared that the War isn't usually newsworthy.
 
It's newsworthy to those connected to it.  And in communities all across this country, that connection is very strong and is shared by the whole community.  And when Loss occurs, the community comes and helps the new widow, the family without a son or daughter, try to shoulder the burden.
 
And try to face a new day.
 
I was caught by the eyes looking out from the picture of the bride holding her folded American flag.  I've seen those eyes, too often, in the mirror.  I feel for her... knowing she'd do anything to hold her Love again instead of that folded piece of cloth.
 
 
57 days.  Seven years... a lifetime shared... a lifetime lost.
 
My thoughts go out to you Emily.  To you and Clay, "Thank you".  Thank you for all you've given to our country.  Your town is small, but in the end... you are part of something big...  you're a part of all of us.

1 comment:

M*A said...

I may comment later when the page is not so blurry.