21 January 2008

A Christmas Present

As some of you may know, I am a huge Star Trek fan.

For any number of reasons, Star Trek has always excited me. It's vision of the future, not to mention the technical qualities - the writing, the music, the acting - even Shatner's overacting defines Kirk, and the depth of the story lines.

And do you want to know my favorite character? The one whom every time she (there's a hint) appears onscreen, makes my heart race into an excited pitter-patter?

The USS Enterprise. She is a beauty of a ship, with some of the finest lines I can imagine, and am quite pleased that some forty plus years ago, someone did.

After a bit of a drought, there is a new Star Trek movie coming out. Christmas Day of this year.

The studio is scrapping the Next Generation plot lines, and returning to the beginning - well, not the full beginning, but the beginning of the Kirk, Spock, et al, saga.

Watch the trailer, below. If you'd like to see a really great high-definition version, you can go to this website. Click on "Watch in HD".

You've seen my other posts, and know what stirs me... so, imagine this video with the Enterprise being built... and we start with the narratives of America's first forays into space... and then Leonard Nimoy comes in with the famous words...

Oh my.

Oh my, oh my.

Santa's bringing a very special present this year.

3 comments:

Mary*Ann said...

Since there won't be more "Lord of the Rings"...I will be looking forward to this...and a young Spock!
:-)

Anonymous said...

One of the great moments in Trek history is in Star Trek IV towards the end of the movie. The Whales have been saved. Kirk has been demoted and told he'll once again command a star ship. On the shuttle ride over, McCoy surmises they will "get a freighter", Sulu wants Exesior. Scotty says thy will be done. The shuttle crests the saucer section of then Exelsior and there she is USS Enterprise NCC 1701-A. My friends, we've come home. Still brings a slight tear to my eye.

SCEagle said...

My goodness, "Anonymous", you are right! That is definitely a special moment.

Another? The beauty shots of Enterprise in the beginning of the first movie.

And who else was torn to shreds watching the noble ship die in a fireball in Star Trek: The Search for Spock?

She's a beautiful, proud ship.

And I think she's best summed up with a quote from Dr. McCoy, "You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."