22 September 2006

Whoops... Shouldn't Have Read That

I was browsing through the archives (not really important why, but was looking for a name) and came across this one.

It's listed as one of the "Fan Favorites" and I've often received compliments on the writing of it, but... to be honest, I haven't read it in a long time.

Wish I hadn't. Not so much because of remembering the death of my buddy... for one, that never really goes away, and it's not something you avoid.

Surprisingly, it was for all the other stuff that came back. Vividly. Just the sense of being in Kandahar and Afghanistan. The shop, the office, the people. Heat, smells, the gravel.

Guess there's a difference between recollecting and casual rememberance.

And I wonder how guys who've really been in the thick of it handle it. Gee, my time in the Stan was fairly tame, all things considered. Lots of things I'd like to forget... lots, but...

And then, while prepping this post, I noticed the date on the old one. Has it really been a year?

Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't have to think too hard to know which one you were referring to, but I went back and reread it, too. Haunting. Touching. Vivid.

Anonymous said...

A couple of days ago, a friend pointed me in the direction of your blog. my sincere thanks to you for serving our Country.

I wanted to let you know that you, your wife and your family are in my prayers...

My condolences on the loss of your buddy, your blog entry was very touching.

Kat said...

Wow. I remember when this happened. I didn't know your blog then -- I just found you recently, within the past several weeks. But reading this - i definitely remember the event. :( and, belatedly... i'm so sorry.

*hugs & prayers*

Fermina Daza said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Hard to believe it has been a year. My BIL was part of 173rd out of Italy and did perimeter security for that crash. I"m not sure if he made it to the ramp ceremony or not though I'm sure if he was able, he was there.

A loss such as that hits hard in such a small community and the effects are still felt even years down the road.

Continued prayers. Always.