16 September 2006

Home

Brought Ellicia home today.

13 days in the hospital. Solitary confinement hell, I have to tell you. She was climbing the walls and threatening to tie the sheets together and climb out the window. She'd have done it, too. Don't blame her.

It's so difficult in a German hospital. Especially for Americans who don't know the language. And the farther from base, and the support center, it's worse.

Her luck, she has it all. Far away, no language, stuck.

Can't watch TV, unless you want to live on CNN International. And since one of her hospital days was 11 September, you can imagine what that was like to watch.

You can read... as long as the drugs and boredom allow you to concentrate...

Word puzzles...

I left her with my iPod... it helps, but like most things becomes tiresome.

Cell phones are verboten, so she has to keep it hidden...

Food? Uh oh... let's not get started on that.

And anyone to talk to? No, not really.

So, after awhile, you've done all of your activities, and you're left alone... waiting for the next soul to walk in who speaks five words of English, craving those five words, desperate for a sixth or seventh.

Waiting for the next too-brief visit from anyone who might come and visit...

And then you stare at the walls, and think.

Not the best in this situation. And after 13 days...



Anyways, we're ecstatic to have her home. Yes, she moves slowly... the right leg is pretty much shot. It supports weight, but she has to move it like a peg leg.

Don't let her handle any breakables...

And she is showing signs of the side-effects of the treatment... Twice a day, she gets what we call "brain freeze", where she's just... gone for an hour or so. She can't concentrate. Not really able to think, so we sit her somewhere and wait for her to "come back".

Don't care. It may seem like I'm now a father of four, but... my friend is home... and I can sleep a bit better.

Now, to keep her here.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

The strength this requires is amazing. Thank you for letting us read how you handle it and how much love you have for her.

Kat said...

*hugs* to both of you... so glad she's back home with you.

Stacy said...

Will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.

Melinda said...

Thank goodness she's home. I cannot imagine the boredom & frustration of being in a hospital where I can't even prattle on to the nurses or something!

I've been thinking about all of you & praying too.

Keep us posted on what you need & how it's going.

Anonymous said...

Glad she's home, for the sake of all of you. I'm sure the kids are as delighted as you and Ellicia. Still prayin'.

Anonymous said...

So happy your friend is home...and the kids must be thrilled to have Mommy back....you know you are in my prayers and thoughts daily....and I am doing everything I can to help raise monies for her care...the strength your family shows is a lesson in courage....and a tribute to your love....

Hugs from your adopted Mom

Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon your blog recently and read it start to finish. Am an army wife in Hawaii...good luck to your family. Goodspeed.

Anonymous said...

Good news indeed that your friend is home. I'm sure she is elated also, to be there, with you. Prayers still being sent.

Mike Driehorst said...

Reid and family: Thinking of you guys often. Keep up the strength, faith and love.

Someday (hopefully soon), you'll *all* be able to look back at these times and maybe pull out a good story or two to tell.

You have a world of bloggers and other fine people thinking and pulling for you all.
Mike

Anonymous said...

My son had a couple of hospital stays in Germany (Mannheim) and we found that a mini-DVD player worked well for helping with the boredom. That a a TV series to watch. I'm glad that your wife is home. Prayers ascending for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Still praying.

Rachelle Jones said...

Prayers continue Reid...

Lee Ann said...

Congratulations on bringing Ellicia home. New to your site from Army Wife Toddler Mom.

You and your family have our sincerest and deepest prayers. My husband underwent a stem cell transplant last year at Moffitt Hospital in Tampa. He wasn't allowed to leave his room and was climbing the walls...bonus? He had to be there 3 months.

I'll post a link to your site on mine and pass along the paypal link as well. My fervent prayers for a positive result. I understand where your heart, head and soul are at this difficult time.

Best wishes and hugs all around.

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of strength your way and hope things improve for you both.

Anonymous said...

Your family continues to be in my prayers. This statement you made "Don't care. It may seem like I'm now a father of four, but... my friend is home... and I can sleep a bit better." brought tears to my eyes.

Unknown said...

Reid, you and your family are in my prayers and I have forwarded your blog onto others and asked them for their prayers too. Hoping for a miracle here.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're all together.

Anonymous said...

May prayers for you and your family.

Fermina Daza said...

Still praying. Still hoping. I'm glad you are all together now.


- hfs

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers and hugs your way...