23 June 2006

$!@$*! Army

ARrrrrrggggghhhhh...

Very ticked off.

Irritated.

A few other things, too.


The monthly pay stubs came out today. I, of course, eagerly checked for a few reasons: a) to verify that the Army had correctly processed my rent & utility payments and b) to make sure nothing else was wrong.

"B" is something which any Soldier is smart to do each and every month.

Why?

Why should a Soldier who has a fixed rate of pay have to verify his paycheck? It's not like it varies because I worked a different number of hours each week.

Because a wise Soldier is always checking for errors. Since we only see our paystubs monthly, any problem can quickly multiply into a nightmare.

For example, my latest bit of good news from the pay department.

Due to my low paygrade and high number of mouths to feed, the Army has been giving me FSSA (Federal Supplemental Subsistance Allowance). It helps provide the $$$ to get by (y'all didn't think the so-called "Guardians of Freedom" were high-paid millionaires, did you?).

Anyway, it seems that back in February, the folks at Finance told our Battalion to tell all Soldiers receiving FSSA to re-certify and that the list would be verified.

Any guess who didn't get told?

So, for the next three months, I continued receiving the FSSA... just as I believed I was supposed to.

Until month four, June. It seems that this month, the Army has decided to tell me about the FSSA being cut off in February. So, not only am I not receiving this month's FSSA allowance, but the Army has also announced that they have determined that I've been mistakenly overpaid and they want the money back. So, they're coming after me for $1500!

Yup, usual nightmare... a mistake is made (often by the Army, or rather personnel in offices who are ambivilent and don't care about what effects their (in)action has on real people) and it grows over time before the Army realizes the mistake, and then... the Soldier is on the hook.

This is not the first time I've experienced this. In fact, it's about the fifth.

So, yippee... really soured my mood today. Pah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boo and hiss to the bean counters. A couple of out of the park home runs might make you feel a little better....oh, no,.... never mind ;-)

Mike Driehorst said...

That totally stinks, SC.

Why do the worlds of military, gov't, association and academia administration get so messed up! It's because of the beaurocracy (sp?) and little accountability.

Why should you pay for someone else's mistake?

Hope it gets straighten out soon.
Mike