18 January 2008

Refreshing experience

Took my still unsold Explorer to Langley AFB today to let it sit on their Lemon Lot... Unfortunately, God having only blessed me with one body, I needed a cab back to my van.

Tried calling cab company I know, but they're not allowed on the base. Fine, I'll meet them at the gate... Only about a 2 mile walk. I'm tired, but... Army Strong! Hooah!

Start walking. I don't wear a watch, so I'm oblivious to the time. Am walking on a sidewalk alongside the VERY busy main boulevard off base.

Then I catch it... Barely. Bugle. Quick check of the cell phone clock... 1700 (Angela, you can do it!)... Flag!

Quickly come to a halt. Assume position of attention. About face. Wait. Bugle ends. I am facing 50 plus cars in front of me, staring at them. They've all just seen a Soldier stop cold, and turn around to face the flagpole... Even if their radios are thumpa-thumpin, they know... Flag!

They all come to a stop. I can sense a line behind me, as well, of the cars in the other direction. No movement.

The sun is setting directly behind me, and I am the lone person visibly standing outside...

It gets quiet as car motors turn off.

Then, I hear it... First note of "The Star-Spangled Banner". In my mind, I *hear* the command, "Present, arms!"

I salute... And hold it.

Through the whole song... Though there are times the wind carries the notes away from me, in my head, I'm singing along... So I keep my place.

One car can't hear at all.. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him start to creep, but then looks at me and sees I haven't moved a muscle.

"...and the home of the brave!" I hear the last notes. I think. Leave it to the Zoomies to through a flourish on the end.

Silence.

"Order, Arms!" goes the voice in my head... I return to attention. About face.

And I continue walking out to the gate.

2... Maybe 3 minutes out of the day but quite refreshing.

Some days, I LOVE being in uniform.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*I* LOVED this post! Thanks.

Mary*Ann said...

Me too!!!

Anonymous said...

Some people learned to slow down and reflect that afternoon.