03 June 2008

Reenlistment

This is just the beginning. I want to write what I can NOW to make sure I don't forget (plus, I'm sitting in traffic moving at Warp 3 MPH on the interstate, so I have some time).

I'm still collecting the pics, and so far, there are some really impressive ones! Watch this space for when they're posted.

So, the reenlistment ceremony.

I was nervous. Ask LadyG and she'll tell you I was ever so _slightly_ stressed!

I don't like being late. First, had to deal with seemingly random closed roads and detours. En route, the spaceship's seatbelt undid one of my insignia. Not just any one, but one of the more precisely aligned, measured, and polished ones. AACK!!!!

We arrived at the Jefferson Memorial, with two minutes to spare (thanks to the lovely scenic tour through Alexandria). I quickly found my fellow Soldiers who, blssedly, were well practiced at restoring serenity to uniform chaos.

As a bonus, my reenlisting officer was running behind. Translation: I was not late! Breathing could return to normal.

It was a beautiful day - one couldn't order a better one. Crystal clear, nice blue skies... Not too hot, not too cold... Not muggy.

Decent crowds, but not too overwhelming.

I was in my Class A uniform, as was my officer. My fellow Soldiers were in duty uniform. LadyG was stunningly BEAUTIFUL, while D was looking quire sharp in classic "lil' man" look. Dad was there, with his g/f... And so were my Soldiers' Angel, M*A, and her DH. A nice touch was the presence of my Senator's military liaison, a USAF LTC.

It was time.

We set up on the front steps of the Jefferson Memorial. If I looked to my right, I could see TJ looking over us from inside. T my left, the Washington Monument, and past that, the White House. We stood next to the American Flag, which flapped in a gentle breeze.

The reelistment NCO called, "Attention to Oath!" We all came to attention, and I faced my officer. We raised our right hands, and he administered the oath.

I was very... Aware. I was focused on him, but could feel the gazes coming from those in attendance, notably my invited guests. I tried to remind myself to take it slowly, so I could savor the moment and the words I was saying... What the meant to me.

And then, it was done! I saluted, shook hands, and felt... Wonderful elation. It's odd, because Soldiers are ALWAYS counting down their time remaining in service, and I'd just tacked on another four years. But, it was more than that. I was so honored to have the _opportunity_ to say that oath again... So be allowed to contnue to serve. Reenlistment is not a right, but a privilege, after all.

During my remarks, I remember commenting on how long and challenging the journey to reenlistment was. So much has occurred in these first five years of enlistment. It certainly hasn't been dull. I wonder what the next four will bring?

I look at how I got to this point, and there are some I wish to point out:
To Ellicia, who stood by me, supported me, encouraged, motivated, comforted, and inspired me when I first took the oath.

To M*A, who represented ALL of the Soldiers' Angels out there - who help us and support us in innumerable ways. Yet, M*A is so much more, as her "name" attests. Perhaps best, though, is she is my Friend.

To Dad, retired Master Sergeant, who's first wearing the uniform inspired me when I was young, and who's ability to understand means so much now. I am proud to have the same nickname, which itself has a nice heritage, "Radar".

To my Sergeants over the years who've demonstrated True NCO Leadership and Army values... Some of you are currently in Iraq, and I wish I was with you. First Sergeant S, SSG K. G (from Operations), SSG T. G. (from 'stan and Useless), and quite a few others. HOOAH!

So, here's to the next four years...

"Protecting and Defending... Against ALL enemies..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooah indeed!

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{{{{{{Reid}}}}}}}}}}}I have no words, except that this foreigner - and friend via friend who stood there with you on my behalf also ;) - THANKS YOU!

Bless you all..:)