18 November 2007

A Special Day

Today is a very special day.

Five years ago, I was in India. Running up what had to be one of the most expensive phone bills I've ever had. 8,887! miles away, my daughter was coming into the world.

Delivered by caesarean, she was a beauty. Let's take a peek back, shall we?


(She's still inside - so comfy)


(She's just been hatched!)


(Being born is hard work!)


(Very happy Mommy...)


I finally got to meet my little girl about two months later.

This is my very first look upon her... E had a friend be ready with the camera when she walked in. I don't think I've ever been more excited or nervous to meet someone.


E called this picture "So, this is Daddy!"


Five years. She's such a joy in my life.

I remember her first birthday - I was able to sneak down on a quick pass from Army training.

First cake - can't you tell?


Life is good...

Life is VERY good


Grandpa


Marmee

Second birthday, we shared in Germany (girl gets around, doesn't she?)... The family had just arrived a month earlier...

Third birthday. Sigh. M's third birthday will always be linked... to... Cancer. E received her diagnosis on 18 November 2005. And M STILL had a party that day. To this day, I am in awe of E's strength.

M's birthday in 2006 was a tad bit truncated as the house was being packed and we were in full swing for our evacuation to the States.

And now, it's 2007. Five years old. A whole handful of fingers!

M has grown so much. She's extremely intelligent. E and I were often struck with wonder, pride, and just a tad bit of consternation, as we watched her devilish self learn how to hide sweets. And her first Easter, sorting the candy by type and color. Watching her learn and develop. She still speaks two languages, remembering her German well.

I could write pages, I'm sure... but I reflect on how much this little girl has endured, and the strength that oozes from her. She seems wise beyond her years. So grown up... And more to come!


Happy Birthday, Sweetheart!

(Also, happy birthday to Josie and Charlie!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Marissa! Charlie sends Scorpio Birthday Wishes too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Marissa! Reid, I so enjoyed the pictures, thanks. Time passes so quickly, she really WILL be grown up before you can turn around.

kg said...

She's beautiful! Daddy you are doing well with her! Happy Birthday Marissa!

auntybrat said...

Happy BIRTHDAY Marissa! And Reid? Do NOT blink! Before you know it, you will be watching her graduate from high school and then...and then..

Precious moments, every one..

Keeping you ALL in my prayers over here....with love.....always.:)