05 June 2007

Trying to Explain What I See

On a recent flight, I found myself staring out the window... entranced as usual, and lost in the wonder.

Suddenly, I found these words flowing into my head. As is usually true when I write, there is no rough draft, it just flows to me.

I haven't developed a title yet, but here is what came to me:


This is where I come to pray
When too oft my soul has bled;
Where Angels like to fingerpaint
And mortals fear to tread.

The Temple is so endlessly vast,
There are no walls to see -
Yet there arise many rooms,
Some as small as me.

I do not reach out to touch
The face that belongs to Him,
For the Peace I feel here is so clear,
Even as the world feels very dim.

Few tend to take the time to see
This Heavenly Temple just above;
Our lives in which we self absorb
Bereft of this endless Love.

For when we climb into the Temple
Casting off the fears from below
Is when we see through His eye
Amazing Beauty we'd ne'er know.

The Temple is where the Angels gather
And unleash their creative flow -
Brushing playfully through the sky with clouds
Or at times a lone rainbow.

Here in this place so Holy
My soul relearns to soar
Lift'd aloft on an Eagle's wing
Wounds Healed; Bleeding no more.

This is where I come to pray
When my soul yearns to cry
Of Pain! Of Joy! It's here I pray...
In these Cathedrals of the Sky.

(c) 2007


As I said, title still in works. But, this is what I see. And how I feel about flying. It's where I feel most at peace in the world.

(Comments and critique invited. Curious what y'all think. Thank you for reading.)

7 comments:

A_C said...

I have always found prayer and spirituality is a very personal thing. I refuse to set foot in a church, I feel closer to God out bush watching the clouds, feeling the sunshine or at night with a camp fire under the stars. Or maybe by the water, watching the birds diving for fish and the water lapping on the rocks.

We all have our personal 'churches', our cathedrals that we share only with God. Finding and acknowledging the personal relationship with God will make the search worthwhile.

Beautiful words Reid....

Anonymous said...

"Cathedrals of the sky." Beautiful.

That is a visual that is going to stay with me as I walk the memory garden labyrinth under the "Cathedrals in the sky".

Anonymous said...

Wow! Tugs at MY heart. That's really beautiful, Reid. Reminds me of my daddy - he felt closer to God in the beauty of nature, wherever he happened to find it. He really enjoyed flying, too.

Anonymous said...

Soul replenishing words....to nourish the power within. Beautiful

Anonymous said...

Moved, and a bit choked up.

Goes to prove everyday people and just friends are the true heroes.

Very impressed...and grateful. Thanx.

Anonymous said...

I read your site often but today this really touched me as we are now dealing with losing my father slowly to recently diagnosed cancer that has spread. He served 32 years in the Army and National Guard. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever look at flying, the same way, again!
I'll just think of the words you wrote and the fear will vanish! GOD certainly gave you a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us!